Search This Blog

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Neglected Abdominals

By Liz Schneider 2014


Look at all the connective tissue (white) attached to the abs--can you imagine what kind of restrictions and tension those are vulnerable to and the postural implications? We forget to stretch our abs--stretch baby stretch! (Disclaimer: please consult a physical therapist or trained professional when trying any new stretches/exercises).

Very few people have experienced an abdominal massage for a number of reasons.  It is one of the most vulnerable areas of the body (neck is the another), because it is not protected by bones and A LOT happens here. The area is a place of constant breaking down of food, assimilating nutrients and producing energy. It is a place of destruction, birth, and rebirth. An estimated 300-1000 types of bacteria that help us assimilate nutrients and drive our immune systems call this place home (please consult reliable sources for more information/verification). Additionally, social and cultural attitudes and values influence how we feel about this part of our bodies. Many people carry stress in the stomach and belly making them slouch, unaware they are "protecting" the area with defensive postures.

Personally, I love receiving abdominal massage. I know that massage therapists have a different view of the human body and I'm around this work all the time. Second, it's very soothing and healing to have this area treated. If we look at dogs for example, they roll on their backs and adore a belly rub. Assuming I know anything of what goes on in a dogs mind--when they trust and submit to authority, they are able to experience the relaxation effect of letting go of control and calming an active area. Our organs are encased in connective tissue which is also attached to more connective tissue that wraps our muscles as well. My clients who receive the work report less tension in their backs and an overall relaxation affect. HOWEVER, comfort is of utmost importance and I will only address this area when I have explicit consent from a client. It's not something I typically mention directly unless it's vital to the client's goals or I've worked multiple times with the client and a higher level of trust is achieved. If I sense a client is adventurous then I may simply explain how it may help.


2 comments:

  1. I never knew that an adnominal massage was a thing. I have heard of back and neck massages which feel great, so I can only imagine what an adnominal massage will feel like. For someone who deals with discomfort in that area often and a lot of stress, I am very tempted to try it.

    Brooke Burgess @ East West College

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Do it! You can request 30/45 minutes on just your abdominal area, pecs and sternum. Find someone you trust who has a good resume (look for key words like specializes in myofascial release). Talk about your fears-- therapists are trained and open to handle bodies in all stages. I've been doing a lot of ab, pec, and rib cage work and my clients are really happy with the results. The get off the table feeling more upright, relaxed and integrated. In our hunched over world, those abs are so used to staying in a contracted posture. Don't ask for too much at your massage--concentrate the work and those other areas will benefit greatly.

      Delete