Search This Blog

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Talking During a Session and Letting Go of Control

I'd like to address this frequently asked question. What is my opinion of talking during a session?  Massage therapists are taught to limit conversation during massage for a few reasons. Contrary to popular belief, the massage I try to execute is not a lower level motor function like driving. I'm not only concentrating on what I'm feeling, but I'm collecting information from the rest of the body and integrating various structures to follow the lines of tension. For example, if I'm massaging the shoulders I'm also tuning into the clavicle, sacrum, rib cage, as well as following breathing patterns and picking up on things I have a difficult time trying to explain. Without getting too mystical, those of us who work closely with and touch people every day all day develop what I like to call a physiological sensitivity. You just "know" certain things in this work. It is both a gift and a skill. I could expand upon that, but I'd rather leave that for one-on-one conversations with curious minds. For the sake of the session, the client does not need to know everything I'm experiencing to gain the benefits.

I speak during a session when I want to relay information that is relevant and helpful OR if I sense the client is having difficulty relaxing (or better yet their mind is far removed from the present moment). For the most part, when a client asks me questions during a session I find myself giving disjointed responses because I'm trying to stay connected to listening and following the patterns. The client has the right to speak as much as they wish, but I like to make them aware by answering briefly that it may temporarily disrupt the chains I'm following.

Typically, many people need to talk in the beginning or at points of the session that stir up emotions, memories and/or thoughts. This is healthy and normal. The greatest benefit a client can gain is to stay present during a session and feel what I am feeling, but try not to get too attached to anything that arises. Recognize it and then let it go---visualize it leaving your body through your feet, top of your head, hands and if you need to share something YES speak up. Otherwise, give yourself permission to let go of control.

No comments:

Post a Comment