Search This Blog

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Costa Rica School of Massage Therapy: Samara, Guanacaste has Power

Every now and then I watch this video. It always gives me chills and brings me back into the pure joy I experienced for 4 months studying massage therapy. I hope it is still preserved and magical as it was in 2012.

If you are looking for a travel destination I highly recommend Samara. The Nicoya Peninsula is one of the Blue Zones in the world (look it up for more info). My allergies of 15 years cleared after spending time here and four years later still holding. I made some of the most special connections of my life with locals and ex-pats. It will take you out of the NOVA sleepwalking state and make you feel and realize what you've forgotten. Moreover, there are some very talented massage therapists, chiropractors and bodyworkers in the area that some people in the states specifically seek out. No research or visa needed-- a local or ex-pat is happy to tell you exactly who, what and where to go. It is a small place, but full of quality. Restaurants include Italian, French, Vegan, Asian, Brazilian, pizza galore, a farmer's market and more. The water out of the tap is so good that when you go to a restaurant and they ask you tap or bottled you better order the magical tap water. I swear it is one of the reasons people live so long there!

Please, though leave the rush of NOVA behind. Things are slow and in order to preserve this place respect the pace do not bring it down with your expectations. Most of the locals are very tolerant of tourists and here in NOVA we would not be. I found myself apologizing to locals for the rude, aloof behavior of tourists. Look people in the eye. They WILL smile back and who knows they may invite you into their home and take you on an adventure! Your confidence will soar and you will return bearing the gift of Samara. Being there and embracing the Pura Vida lifestyle is a continual baptism. It will take some adjusting--took me a full week. Give yourself a couple days and engage the population. They are educated and far more advanced socially and spiritually than we are. 

There are two preferred tourists seasons: dry and rainy. Dry is Dec-March/Early April and rainy well just about any other time with it peaking with thunderstorms in Aug-early Nov. I prefer dry season because it is not as humid, the evenings are lovely and the pacific winds are rolling through especially in Dec/Jan. Dry season is more hopping and all businesses are open. It's not as lush. Rainy season can be a ghost town, and it rains for a brief period of time once a day or you might get trapped in rain for a full day or more. It was a little too humid for my taste, but it is really stunning come May.

There are two airports you can fly into to reach Samara: Liberia and San Jose. Liberia is more expensive, but much closer and easy to reach Samara on paved roads. I went back to visit and left at 7am Friday morning, arrived in Liberia and was on the beach by noon. I recommend the connecting flight in Atlanta or Miami. Texas felt long. Spend at least two weeks here and slow down and love life.

Pura Vida!!


No comments:

Post a Comment