Search This Blog

Sunday, April 21, 2013

"I ain't got time for pain! I got stuff to do!"

So, I've talked about the mind-body connection which I feel like has been way overdone in pop-culture. Still with all this talk about mind-body and integration I feel as though very few people get it.
We make ourselves sick with stress. Seems like a fairly straightforward concept until it happens to you and you find yourself in weeks, months or years of chronic and acute pain and that mind-body concept seems far too simple to apply to what you're experiencing.

We give pain power. Coddling the injured area only allows it to nag and feel more intense than it is. We now know that anxiety makes pain feel more intense (http://www.jneurosci.org/content/21/24/9896.full.pdf ). I see a big difference in the reactions of different types of personalities and backgrounds when it comes to pain and progress. Let me explain...or at least go into a few fun circles.

Unfortunately, a lot of people come into the wellness center where I work and do not realize that their pain is being kept at acute levels due to their attitudes, beliefs and anxiety which they can't let go of for one reason or another. People are treating themselves physically, but they may not be considering another huge component--the mind.  It is difficult to tell what is mental and what is physical because they are so intertwined. And trust me I absolutely understand the frustration and hopelessness that pain can create, but wellness takes a lot of effort and consistency in multiple areas of lifestyle. Some of us more high strung folks have to develop ninja mind tricks!!

I recently had a conversation with an x-marine in his seventies and he had been through a lot. He had a really healthy attitude "I ain't got time for pain ! I got stuff to do!". Sometimes that is a great way to approach life. Guess what--the body is going to break down at some point and for me I've found some peace in just accepting that reality. Absolutely investigate pain and coping mechanisms, but keep moving and don't let it run your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment